Monday, January 19, 2015

Hello There!

Hello!  After binge reading several horsey blogs over the last month or so, I decided, "Hey.  This is kind of cool.  Maybe I should get in on this."  So here I am.  Brand spanking new to this whole blogging thing.  So I thought perhaps I should start out by sharing a little bit about myself!

I currently live in Kansas.  I know, right?!  KANSAS.  Blech.  But really, it's not that bad, other than the sometimes bipolar weather.  It's kind of flat, but it has it's own beauty about it.  I grew up in Western Washington and after what I like to refer to as my "Quarter Life Crisis", I packed up and moved to Hawaii where I met my husband, married him, and then followed him wherever the military sent us which included San Antonio for a year and now to Manhattan, Kansas a.k.a The "Little Apple" (Get it?!)  I have two bonded house bunnies named Heff and August and an OTTB mare named Chloe.

  
                                     August is the grey female with the uppity ears 
                              and Heff is the brown harlequin male with the floppy ears.


                                                               Heffie Naps!


                                                             Cute August!



House Bunnies are kind like cats in that they don't really like anything unless it is their idea.  Also, my house bunnies are litter box trained so they pretty much get free roam of a bedroom when I am not home and full access to the house when I am home.  Heff came from a backyard breeder in Hawaii that was essentially a rescue as they had way too many bunnies that were all crammed into hutches.  A year later, I decided that Heff needed a friend to keep him company during the working hours of the day, so I went to the Hawaii Humane Society where August was the only bunny they had at the time.  They both moved to San Antonio from Hawaii with us and later moved to Kanas.  They are both very well traveled! 

                        The Diva Horse: Chloe.  Show Name: Whiskey Makes Me Frisky


                                                               Wearing breakfast.


                                                         Napping in breakfast.


                                          Diva Pony and her fancy quarter sheet


And then there is Chloe.  When I moved to Hawaii, I had to sacrifice the Holsteiner/TB cross mare that I had at the time.  Shipping her wasn't really an option because I didn't think she would fare well on a boat and I knew I couldn't afford to fly her.  I was horseless for 5 years and was bound and determined to get back to riding once my feet hit the mainland.  


Enter Chloe.  I was cruising Dreamhorse in between emailing out resumes in San Antonio, just kind of looking for a project to put some work into and then turn around.  And then I laid my eyes on this mare.  She was in the turnaround project price range but when I met her I knew she would not be a turnaround.  She is one of the smartest, sassiest, diva horses I have ever worked with and even though we have our disagreements from time to time, she is special.  Chloe is a coming 8 year old OTTB who never raced but appeared to have some sort of track training.  She will eventually be a jumper and we are going to venture out to our first schooling shows this year.


These are my Fur Kids.  And I love them.  They make my life complete and I can't imagine my world without them.   

And that's essentially me!

8 comments:

  1. Love your bunnies! You used to be so close to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so sad I didn't find your blog until after I left Texas. Boo!!! My mare came from outside of Austin in Smithville, gotta love those TX bred TBs!

      Delete
  2. Where are you from in Western WA? I am from Sequim...left 20 years ago. Good decision! I also had a Holsteiner/TB cross before my current horse. Glad you are blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! So sorry for the late reply, I tried to reply on my phone but it appears it did not upload.

      I'm from Fenrdale. I had a quarter life crisis and decided I didn't want to deal with the rain anymore and left in 2008. I miss it now, I imagine I will end up back there at some point in the future. Thanks for reading my post! I'm a little slow at getting posts up as I learn about blogging but I should have another one up soon. :-)

      Delete
  3. That quartersheet is amazing!!! :) I have bunnies too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There is a very wonderful lady who custom makes them and ships them out. :-) She is amazing, and any pattern JoAnn's sells she can do! And I'm going to need to see your bunnies.... >:-3 (<-----that's supposed to be a bunny.)

      Delete
  4. Hey! Glad to find your blog while still new! Look fwd to reading. Love the buns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you and thanks for reading! All of my children have fur. :-)

      Delete