Monday, February 16, 2015

Monday Bunday! Meet Heff

I've been wanting to join Kate at Peace & Carrots for a few weeks for Monday Bunday but I have been a little crazy with life and what is turning out to be a rather frustrating saddle search (more on that in another post).

Without further ado, I present to you my first MONDAY BUNDAY!

Meet Heff.


"Dis iz my basket!  I chewz on it and it iz mine!"

Heff is a 4 year old Holland Lop that we "rescued" from a breeder in Hawaii.  The breeder had several hutches filled with 5-8 bunnies each.  I really wish we could've taken on more, but I didn't know much about bunnies at the time we got Heff.  

When we first got Heff, we were told that he was a girl and thus my husband chose the name Holly Madison (from The Girls Next Door).  The name Holly stuck for about 4 months, when he became of age to get fixed.  It was a surprising phone call from the vet that we dropped off a girl bunny and would be coming home with a boy!  I just couldn't bring myself to keep calling our boy bunny "Holly", even though we toyed with the idea of changing the spelling to "Hawley" to be a little more masculine.  My mom was the one who suggested we name him Heff, keeping with the Playboy Bunny theme.  And it stuck.

"I can't believe I drank all the Coronas...."   
One of his favorite napping spots not long after we got him.

At some point along the way, we discovered that Heff lost his hearing.  The vet said his ears look healthy, but there is really no test for bunny hearing.  We noticed that Heff didn't seem to hear us coming and loud noises didn't seem to bother him anymore.  Our other bunny hides from the vacuum cleaner, Heff runs up to it to check it out.  It makes me sad that he can't hear, but I think his bunny wife helps communicate things to him (dinnertime if he is napping, treat time if he doesn't see the bag, etc...). 

Even though he lost his hearing, Heff has a huge personality.  I often refer to him as "4 Pounds of Fury".  He loves food, treats, and naps.  He likes to dig in the litter box, bunch up blankets and chew on boxes.  He tolerates a few pets but mostly prefers his bunny wife's snuggles and kisses.  

Both of our Fur Kids have traveled with us from Hawaii.  They might be some of the most well-traveled bunnies out there!  I honestly don't know how I lived without these little goofballs before they came into our lives.  


 "I can haz food pleeze?"


 Sampling the Christmas tree


 Admiring his handiwork, Heff gazed upon the mass destruction 
he had just caused and contemplated his next move....


 Remember how I said Heff loves naps?


When bunnies lay on their side like this it is called a flop.
 It means that they are completely relaxed and comfortable. 


 Notice all the toys in the background that cost money go ignored....


 He is so lazy sometimes!


My absolute favorite Heff photo.  
They both don't really like to be locked in their kennel, 
so they rarely have to.  
We had someone coming to look at the apartment 
and we had an errand to run. 
 We came back to mass destruction of the phone book 
and a bunny very anxious to be let out of Bunny Jail!

Next week on Monday Bunday:  Meet August!

5 comments:

  1. So cute! Love Monday bunday! He has so much personality in that wee four pounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He is an aloof little guy, but he does have an abundance of personality. :-)

      Delete
  2. Omg I just looooooooove him!!!! I really wish I could have a bunny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could too! They're so much fun!!! If you ever make it to Kanas, you can come meet him. If you give him a treat you will be his most favoritest person ever!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness - Heff is freakin adorable!!! I'm so happy you are doing Monday Bunday too, can't wait for future pics of Mr. Heff :)

    ReplyDelete